Friday, May 20, 2011

Jack & the Beanstalk - Video

This is much longer than normal for one of my videos, but I had to do it. If you aren't related to me and don't know this story you may be a little confused...but...it really is pretty adorable, I think you'll get a kick out of it! (About 4.5 mins long)

Growing up, we used to listen to Shari Lewis. We had a vinyl record of her story telling and songs, and we loved it as kids. Before I was married, my brother Jared and I were walking through Walmart and we saw the CD version of that same record! I think it was only $5. I bought it, just for the nostalgia of the whole thing. Last year on our road trip to Canada I broke it out for the kids to enjoy. Timeless. The recording is (I believe), at least 30 or 40 years old, yet, they loved it as if it were the Backyardigans.

Well, it was about 12 hr trip one way, and of course took us much longer. So I'd say we listened to the stories for probably no less than 20 hrs on the way there and back. Apparently this is sufficient enough time to memorize an entire CD. We rarely listen to it anymore, and she still has it all down pat.

Jack and the Beanstalk is Kenna's favourite tale, and so here she is, re-telling the story, almost verbatim (if you can understand her, I'm sure the memory jog will bring back all the lyrics to my siblings minds for sure!). I especially like the "duh duh duuuummm" musical effects she adds:-)



The quickest part of the song, which I don't think she understands the words very well is this:
"You're a very silly billy, you're a nothing you're a goose. You're a bounder, you're a rounder, in your head a screw is loose, you're daffy as a loon, you're a simple little dunce, and I'd like to see you do a thing right just once. You're obviously more like your father than me" (oh, yes, isn't this a wonderful example of what to say to your only child when he sells your cow for magic beans. Ahem!)

No comments:

Post a Comment