Monday, May 16, 2011

Couponing

I know I've posted before about some of the savings and items that I've scored for great prices (or free!). Here's a little peek into how that is accomplished. Couponing has recently become very popular, there is even a TV show about it now, on TLC. Although I am definitely not an extreme coupon-er, by any means, I have been doing what I can for years to save us a little money and make our grocery budget stretch.

I dedicate very little time to this endeavour, actually. Pretty much because I don't have TONS of time for it, really! I would estimate my time at less than one hour per week. Basically, when the fliers arrive, I put them in this basket. The basket has scissors, notes about which stores do what, my cut coupons, envelopes, a pen, etc. Everything I need is in one handy (and at least semi-tidy place). When I have a minute or two I go through and cut all the coupons I want/need.

I put the coupons into this photo album. Each "photo holder" has a index card saying what category of coupons is in there. It's super easy to file and find every thing. I really like this system.
When it's time to go to the store, this is how it works: This coming Wednesday, a local grocery store (Harris Teeter) is tripling coupons up to .99. This is a special thing, they don't do this very often. Another local store (Farm Fresh) doubles coupons up to 1.00 every Wed. So! I pulled out all the coupons that were a better value when tripled (.75 for example), and all the 1.00 ones for Farm Fresh. On the envelope at the top I have the store name, and then the coupon values (ie: .75x3=2.25), so it's easy to know what I'm doing and I don't have to do math while at the store (with all my kids of course, makes thinking a little harder).

Then I list out the items that the coupons are for, and the maximum amount of money I am willing to pay out of pocket (after the coupon deduction) for said items. This way as I shop I will know if I am truly getting a good deal or not, its quick, it's easy, and it doesn't require a lot of thought by me:-), and, all my coupons are handy and easy to access, so I'm not rummaging around at the register. Everything I need is in the envelope.

I have a coupon for a McCormick spice, food colouring, or extract for .75. I expect to get this item free at Harris Teeter this week. Other free deals that I will accomplish using coupons this Wed? Pillsbury icing, yogurt, toothbrushes and toothpaste. Other things I expect to pay very little for, thereby stretching our money for other things!

I don't stockpile or buy things we don't need or use. I have very limited storage space in my home, so I can't really do that. Anyway! That's my tip of the week, if you aren't using coupons at all, or even if you do, it doesn't have to be overwhelming and impossible to keep up with...at least I don't feel like it is, doing it the way I do:-)

*Also, I started a Group on facebook awhile ago for all my local friends. We post upcoming deals we've heard about. Sales we've seen etc. It's been helpful!

1 comment:

  1. were you inspired by our conversation industrial cottage :)?

    ReplyDelete