Friday, August 6, 2010

DIY: Multipurpose Cleaning Wipes

I am still going strong with making my own wipes. It gives me something to do while watching tv, so I don't seem like a total couch potato some nights:-) I usually get a batch going (cut & folded) once per month or so, and then I just grab them (still dry) and pour the solution over them when the wipes container(s) are empty. Still loving the cost savings, that's for sure. It might be more work, but when I think about all the money I've saved over the years, it definitely is worth it to me!

Here are some homemade solutions to pour over paper towels (follow the same method as the baby wipes, HERE and then pour the following mixtures over them and let sit until well absorbed). They are definitely cheaper than Clorox wipes etc, and if you are like me, and already making baby wipes, you just steal a few away to make these for ease of cleaning!

Make the solution and adjust the amount you actually pour on the wipes, based on the quantity etc. It's not rocket science, but you don't want them soaking, only damp.

General Surface Cleaning:
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water

Disinfectant Cleaning:
1/4 to 1/2 cup pine cleaning solution (such as Pine-Sol brand)
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cup water

Window and Glass Cleaning:
1/2 cup rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon white vinegar

2 comments:

  1. I totally want to try this! Have you seen this post about making wipes?

    http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/diapering/ht/wipes.htm

    I'm thinking of trying that method & wonder if you ever had and if its a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refer to my other post about the baby wipes, I find it very hard to cut the papertowels in half, so I use another method

    ReplyDelete