Thursday, July 21, 2011

My Favourite Things

One of my favourite things to do is to find ways to make my own version of popular products or food I would normally buy. I really just love the challenge, seeing if it works out, and saving money, generally, as opposed to buying the real thing. I really find it fun! Here are a few highlights of some of my faves!

A knock-off Sonic drink - HERE - it's super yummy, and a pretty good replication. ADORE.

An Olive Garden soup - it's really really good...and even better if using a rotisserie chicken. Chicken & Gnocchi soup

And who doesn't love a hostess cupcake! Try these Fauxstess Cupcakes! Brian thought they were really good, so that is ultimately how I know if something has worked out. I am much less particular.

I "cheated" - I only used the recipe for the filling and the topping. I used a Double Fudge Duncan Hines Cake mix for the cake part. Delish!
The filling called for Marshmallow Fluff - and I didn't have any! Google to the rescue! Here's another do it yourself - Marshmallow Fluff - HOW EASY!

Gently heat 16 ounces of marshmallows plus 1/4 cup corn syrup in a double boiler, stirring constantly; 10 large marshmallows = 1 C miniature marshmallows.

I didn't even use a double boiler, I heated all in microwave for 1 min until puffy, and stirred until completely melted and smooth. A marvelous substitution and save me a trip to the store!
Oh yes, they taste AWESOME!
No recipe here...but we like to make our own Egg McMuffin sandwiches. For my last birthday Brian bought me a couple nice new pans, and one of them came with 2 silicone egg forms. So now we have perfectly round eggs for our yummy sandwiches:-)

1 comment:

  1. I do too, hence the question about the delatto's from Second Cup. Right after I got affirmation on the correct name of the drink, I googled for a recipe but didnt' find anything. :(

    ReplyDelete