Thursday, January 13, 2011

School is going!

The kids are doing quite well with their little studies! Reading, Math, Social Studies, Science, and Bible are the things we focus on most often (everyday). They know both the Canadian and American national anthems, and a new trick is learning the Canadian one in french. They know the beginning to the pledge of allegiance, and the 1st of the 10 commandments, and 15 Bible verses. We do these each day, so they are very well memorized at this point! I am amazed at their progress since September when we started everything off with a reading program. Brooks' penmanship is coming along so well, he loves to draw and try to write things now, just like sister.

Interestingly, when Kenna writes his name (or when he tries to), they write "Boo". The B and the O's being the most important letters, apparently. But it's also interesting to me because when Brooks was born, that is how Kenna said his name. He was Boo-Boo or Boo-ey for a LONG time, if you've been reading my blog for a few years, you'll remember his baby nickname. I wonder if it's a "kid thing" somehow. If Grey calls him Boo, once learning to talk, that will seal the theory in my mind:-)

With all the "serious business" going on around here, there is still plenty of room for the ridiculous. They continually amaze me with the details they pick up and apply to life.

*This conversation happened this morning*
Mommy: Count each bug and color the spaces on the graph to tell how many
Kenna: ants, worms, hey! are those termites?
Mommy: I have no idea, just count them
Kenna: Well I am pretty sure they are termites
Mommy: You're probably right
Kenna: Why don't you know?
Mommy: Because I don't like bugs
Look at Kenna's reading chart! She can read 16 stories perfectly now. Brooks, although very familiar with all the letters and their sounds, isn't quite ready for the blending and reading part yet. We try (I'm sure you remember the video!), but he can only do Fat Cat, Fat Rat well, and sometimes with lots of help do Dan Ran or Cat. I'm sure next school year he will blaze through it all in no time though. (I am using Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten program). Brooks keeps up completely with the K math program. Maybe numbers are his thing.

Fort time! I remember vividly doing this with my brothers and sister when we were young too. Making forts with fort blankets...blankets with a specific designation. I have two of these already, but I'm sure we'll need some more someday:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment