Sunday, September 5, 2010

DIY - High Efficiency Laundry Soap

I starting making my own laundry soap years ago. And it's served us extremely well, as well as being such a money saver. The only time I have purchased laundry detergent since Sept '08 was this past March the day after Grey was born. I ran low/almost out, so Brian bought some Purex when he was out to the store for me.

Then in June we were given almost brand new Frigidaire front loader washer and matching dryer. God is so good - what a huge blessing! We passed on our older, normal set to Lauren, who didn't have a washer or dryer for her new home. Blessings all around!

So at that time, I began to research a soap I could make at home that would work well in the high efficiency washer, the old one would work in theory (low sudsing), but it's lumpy in its consistency, so I didn't know if it would go properly through the top soap loader.

Here is what I have been using, and have been very happy with the results. This is a powder, and I add it straight in with the clothes, and not in the top soap loader part. For whites/normal loads I add bleach and fabric softener through the top soap loader as normal.

3 bars Fels Naptha bar soap (or Ivory if this cannot be found)
3 C Borax
3 C Washing Soda (sodium carbonate)

grate the bar soap and mix all together. Use 1/4C per load.

Been loving it!

2 comments:

  1. I should have given you one of my bags of soap nuts when you were here. All natural, cheap and they smell like....nothing! Just fresh laundry, which I love :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo! Next time! I'd love some:-)

    ReplyDelete