Friday, December 28, 2012

Ten Years

December 28, 2012

I guess you never can tell how quickly time will go. Sometimes moments last an eternity, and sometimes years fly past so fleetingly that if it weren't for a calendar, you'd never believe they even existed.

You waited years for me. I waited years for you, too. At the time, those years seemed so long that a life beyond was unimaginable. And now, the memories of that era are so long past that I can barely even remember a time when you weren't my friend.

It's been ten years since you got down on one knee and told me you'd love me forever. You've been carefully holding my heart since then, and perhaps it's not as fragile as it could be, or perhaps you've just been extra tender when it counts, but you've never broken it.

I like belonging to you. I like being so intricately part of your life, that it's my life too. I sure do love those kids we have. It's an amazing miracle to give life to another and be bonded forever in a relationship that can't be taken away. What is even more of a miracle, is that I choose you, every day. We're bonded in a relationship no less permanent and no less powerful. In fact, more-so, wouldn't you say? Those beautiful faces that are half yours-half mine have added to our life and our joy, but they didn't make it. We did that. We made the love we have and the life we live - just you and me. I'd say, those kids are pretty blessed to get to share that. But it's not about them. It's about us.

For your part - I have no doubt in my mind that you will pursue me, forever. I actually kind of really really like that fact. I also don't really know why-on-earth, because it doesn't make sense to me, but I guess that is my half of the mystery to ponder. Your half is: why I still don't put enough meat on your sandwiches;-)

Speaking of mysteries - I suppose that over the past ten years the great mystery - Christ and His church, and the marriage relationship, is becoming more obvious to me, and less mysterious. In an eyes-dimly-lit way, of course. I should never hope to be able to grasp the depths of the analogy - but as I live it out, I can see the word-pictures. And it all makes just a little more sense.

Time has knit our hearts together, incredibly. A time when we said "can you even imagine 10 years from now?!"...and that was only yesterday.

I can't even imagine what the next ten will hold. But I do know, that as long as we're living, it's you, and it's me. 

D

2 comments: