Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering...

At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month, the time the Armistice of World War I was signed in 1918, we observe two minutes of silence to remember.

There are a few differences that I have observed while being in the US, one of them is that Remembrance Day (Veterans Day in US) is much less celebrated than it is in Canada. It's an odd observation, because the US obviously has an amazing military, you'd think this 'holiday' would get a little more push, since there are so many who have served to protect and preserve the freedoms that we all enjoy. The most obvious difference is the lack of poppies...in Canada there are poppies for sale everywhere. The bank, Wal-Mart, where ever you go. And everyone wears them leading up to the 11th. I guess I shouldn't say it's not as celebrated here, but just less obviously celebrated, as there is no mistaking someone wearing a poppy!

Canadian poet John McCrae was a medical officer in both the Boer War and World War I, he is remembered for this poem commemorating the deaths of thousands of young men who died in Flanders.


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

This is my poppy, I placed it on my kitchen window sill so it would trigger my memory while doing dishes and cooking, since I won't be going out today, I can't wear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment