Friday, October 24, 2008

Cherry Crunch - Recipe

Now this story is really worth posting about. Mom, don't have a heart attack. I made cherry crunch today! This is the first time since we've been married that I've made a crunch, cobbler or crisp...all of which get my gag reflex going on most occasions. Here's the story. We are having company for dinner and are having our homemade pizza. I was thinking of what to serve for dessert, and the easy cupcakes came to mind. Then I remembered that one of our guests is on a diet and would not appreciate the temptation. So I was looking for a quick but somewhat healthier option (hey, it's still dessert...too much sugar...but better than chocolate icing!). Being the deferential person that I am (:-), I came across this recipe from my mom, and thought my husband and children would really enjoy it. So I made it. I will likely even have a small piece just to make sure it tastes ok (relative term!) before serving it to company. Kenna was delighted in helping me and said it was really good (the raw dough part), so I think it'll be a hit. I guess it's a diet for me, desserts in the house I won't eat!!

CHERRY CRUNCH
1 C oatmeal
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C flour
1/2 C chopped nuts or coconut
1/2 C margarine
cherry pie filling

Combine all ingredients but the pie filling. Press about 3/4 of mixture into bottom of 8x8 pan. Add filling and top with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I didn't have a heart attack but I did laugh! :) And so now I want to know what Brian, Kenna & Brooks thought of the easy delicious dessert? And of course your guests? And just so others know you can use peaches, blueberries or an assortment of fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah and you can serve it with whip cream or vanilla ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record, I served it with whipped cream the first go around. Now it's just leftovers, so no fancy stuff:-) Kenna and Brian love it, Brooks actually doesn't...I keep telling him it's cherries (like from a canned cocktail, which he loves), but he really seems not to like it...he might also have inherited the Sylvanus Shantz gene that despises cobblers! I am a little disappointed tho' I thought he would love it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete