Friday, May 2, 2014

Cake Flour

Well, are you like me...constantly subbing out cake flour for all purpose flour without ever really thinking about "what is the difference" - maybe it's just me. I've never bought cake flour, I've always been mildly curious as to what the difference was, but it took until today to google it and figure it out. I don't know why, but I literally stood in front of the cake flour at Walmart (about to grab some), and googled it on my phone.

Thanks to my findings, I didn't buy it.

Here's the skinny - (I am making a from scratch vanilla cake tonight, and wanted it to turn out "just so")

For every cup of all purpose flour used, take out 2 T. And add 2 T of cornstarch to replace what you took out. Sift together. Done.

So for my recipe today, I measured out 3 C all purpose flour. Then I took out 6 T of flour, and added 6 T cornstarch.

EASY, right?! *I didn't actually sift it, I put both flour and cornstarch in my Kitchenaid, and mixed them together for a good long while on the "stir" setting, while I got the other ingredients prepared.

I guess it makes for a lighter cake? I am baking the Brooksie boys birthday cake, so I'll let you know what it tastes like, and if it was worth the extra effort (not that it was really hard, or time consuming at all).

My tip of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment