Saturday, March 14, 2015

French Recipes

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

I found this recipe here (there is a pic). I decided against a traditional cordon bleu because of the time intensity and volume of people I was making it for. If you are going for real tradition, and aren't feeding a crowd, the wrapped ham and swiss is really nice. But this has all the flavour in a regular ol' casserole. It's REALLY yummy! ( I doubled this recipe)

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks

dry breadcrumbs

1 egg, mix well into 1/2 C milk

8oz swiss cheese, cubed

8oz ham, diced

1 (10 3/4oz) can cream of chicken soup

1 C milk

Dip chicken in egg and milk mixture, then toss with breadcrumbs, coating well. Brown in a little oil until golden.

Place in 9x13 baking dish. add cheese and ham.

Mix soup with 1 C milk and pour over all. Bake at 350 for 30-35 mins, or until tender and bubbly.


Bistro Style Gratin Dauphinoise

I found this recipe here (there is a pic). These are probably the best potatoes I have ever had in my life. No joke. They are amazing!! And actually very simple to make. Yes, I did get fresh thyme, and used 2 sprigs as suggested - I suppose using some dried thyme, and straining it out would work too - but I like to make a recipe the way it's written, the first time I make it:-)

3 lbs waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (Idaho or King Edward are waxy potatoes, Russet is not)

6 oz gruyere cheese, grated

salt

pepper

1 1/2C heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream depending on where you live)

2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

2 sprigs fresh thyme

2 T butter

gruyere cheese for topping, optional

Preheat oven to 300. Take a heavy bottom dish or oven proof gratin dish and grease it with some butter.

Layer the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping each other, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper, and sprinkling each layer with a liberal amount of cheese.

Sprinkle cheese on the top of the last layer.

Put the cream, garlic and sprigs of thyme into a saucepan and bring them gently to a boil, then remove the thyme, and pour hot cream over the potatoes.

Dot the top of the gratin with the remaining butter and some extra cheese if you wish, and bake for about 1 to 1.5 hrs, or until the potatoes are soft and the top is crispy and golden brown.


Fresh Salad with French White Balsamic Vinaigrette

This one I just sort of made up, based on suggestions from friends via facebook. Salads are French, originally - who knew?! It was delicious, and my boys declared it their favourite part of the meal. But then, they always love the salad best...weird kids!

Mixed greens (spring and spinach combo)

1 apple, chunked

bacon, about 4 slices, cooked and diced

gorgonzola cheese

croutons

candied walnuts (or almonds)

I found a White Balsamic Vinaigrette by Brianna's (brand name). I was told this was a "French" dressing, and the label itself says it's a French Vinaigrette, so I guess that's right:-)




No comments:

Post a Comment