Friday, August 9, 2013

90's Nostalgia

Two years ago we got lawn seats to see the Zac Brown Band with a bunch of friends and family. At the concert, Brian mentioned this was the first concert he'd ever been to. Then I felt bad...he has nothing against the ZBB, but it's obviously not his groove:-) Then this past spring he got to go see Rush - front row seats - not too shabby! His coworker won the tickets on the radio - really great, but again, not Brian's style of music. So when we heard that Matchbox Twenty and the Goo Goo Dolls were coming to town together, I knew he had to go! It would be kind of a shame to never attend a concert that is "for you", wouldn't it?

Yesterday I posted "tonight, a little 90's love for my wonderful husband with the Goo Goo Dolls and Matchbox 20. Can't wait!" on facebook. Here is a priceless comment from one of our mutual friends, Ryan "Two humorous anecdotes regarding Brian and music from that era: 1. He introduced me to Five for Fighting via Napster... at HQ and 2. One of Brian's friends while at HQ got "convicted" and threw away all of his "bad" CD's. Brian tried desperately to get him to tell where he threw them away so Brian could retrieve them for himself because, as Brian told me, "He threw away some REALLY good stuff."













And finally Better Days. They were wonderful, when the main guy sang anyway. They let the spooky guitarist sing a few songs, and they were pretty awful, haha!!

I think maybe personally I like the Goo Goo Dolls slightly better than Matchbox Twenty, but they're both pretty great! Hard to believe that they both had their first hits 17 years ago!

I will say that I thought MB20 played a little "tighter" music wise - less distortion, didn't seem as pounding or loud, which to me is the sign of a good group, when playing live. However, both groups played well and have obvious talent, given their lengthy careers and the number of hits they have on the radio.

For MB20, I really liked 3am

One of my fave's of theirs is Bright Lights (or as I like to call it, Baby Baby Baby)

My all time fave song of theirs is Unwell. I feel like the lyric "I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwell, I know, right now you can't tell, But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see, a different side of me" might very well be a good theme song for me;-)

The song that Brian was hoping to hear, they closed the encore with. Push. It was their very first song - from 1996 I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment