Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dog Cake

A friend asked me to make a cake for their little girls party, which is today. She asked me to put a dog on top. I immediately had a little vision, for a small dog's head (round cake), and then just decorate it for the face and maybe have floppy fondant ears coming down or something. Then she sent me a pic of what she wanted done...an old english sheepdog...the entire body! I told her I wasn't sure if I could do it. I am by NO MEANS an artist of any sort. Anyone knows I can't even draw stick people! But, as a people pleaser, I didn't want to let her down. I had to figure it out!!

Making the dog, using fondant, and (drum roll please)...a garlic press!!
I pressed little balls of fondant through the garlic press, and then applied all the little tuffs to the fondant dog I "sculpted". It really looks a little more like a bear in it's face, but the point is made. I think you can tell it's supposed to be a dog. In any case, it's cute, right?!
Bake and stack 8 cakes (4 per tier). We have lots of people to feed! The lower tier is chocolate with raspberry buttercream, and the top tier is vanilla with raspberry buttercream. Then do the crumb coat. This is always the hardest part for me...doing the sides. I have never taken a cake decorating class, I just wing it!...but I think formal instruction would greatly help me here. This is my first tiered cake. I used dowel rods in the bottom layer to support the top and keep it from sinking. Dontcha love how I do my experiments, not knowing if and how it will turn out, on things for other people. It's all about the confidence. I just knew I could do it. And thankfully I could! :-)
Crumb coated

Covered in pink fondant
Let the decorating begin! In this case it was pretty simple, they wanted a bow, polka dots, and I added the little 2's for her age. I thought it was cute:-)

Cute, right? I was very happy with how it turned out! It still has aspects that I consider not perfect, but it's an acceptable job...nothing I'm embarrassed by anyway!

In two weeks I will be making a similar cake (cake wise, 2 tiers), only it will be a princess castle for a 5 year old! Stay tuned for pics!
aw, he's smiling at me:-)

7 comments:

  1. WoW! That's really cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Well done! The dog is so cute, I am so impressed! Now how do you dye your fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchase Wilton white fondant, and then use the Wilton icing dyes (in the little tiny "tub" with a screw on lid), just a little dab, and then you knead, knead, knead (by hand) until it's all a smooth colour. It's gets so soft as you go, like taffy. Next time, I am going to try MAKING my own fondant (white, and then dying it). We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!! You did a great job Darla:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lot of work!! great job! the fondant looks very smooth. i bet she loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet cake,, hopely i can do this with my childerns in the future hehehhe....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete