Monday, July 30, 2012

Ahoy, It's A Boy - Recipe

Good friends of ours are having a baby, and it's a boy! While I was not in charge of planning this shower, I was asked/tasked with making the cake. The theme for the shower was nautical/Popeye, since Baby's Daddy is in the military. I did my best to oblige with keeping in line with the theme!!
Making cut outs from gum paste. Using cookie cutters and edible food spray for the gold anchors.
A close up. It's done!! The TOP LAYER was 8 inch french vanilla cake, vanilla butter cream, and one layer of black raspberry filling (4 cakes, 2 buttercream layers and 1 fruit filling layer). The BOTTOM LAYER was 12 inch red velvet cake with cream cheese icing (2 cakes, filled). It was really good!

CREAM CHEESE ICING - Recipe from Buddy Valastro (the Cake Boss)
2 pkgs (8 oz each) cream cheese, at room temperature
8 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 C icing sugar, sifted
1 t vanilla extract
pinch of salt

In stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add sugar, vanilla, and salt. Blend on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium high speed until fluffy.

All done!

Cute! It turned out so well, I thought!

4 comments:

  1. The cake turned out great! It looks professionally done - great job!

    Is there fondant over the buttercream/cream cheese icing or did you seriously get your icing that smooth?

    Also what is the gloss you used on the blue stripes on the bottom cake?

    And do you have a recipe for the gum paste or do you buy it?

    Sorry...barrage of questions I know, but I'm sure the answers will come in handy for my own endeavours!:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the crumb coat on the bottom in the cream cheese, and on the top in the buttercream, and then covered with homemade marshmallow fondant.

    Gum paste - I bought the mix and made it t make the stars, stripes, anchors and life perservers - but I should have just used fondant. It didn't dry as hard as I thought it would, and also, all the "legs" on the anchors broke/cracked. For this application, fondant would have been fine. Live and learn.

    Gloss on the stripes. I rolled them out (they were gum paste) and cut them with a pizza cutter (made a 1" wide template from paper), and then dipped them in water (dry slightly on paper towel before applying to cake. This made them shiny and adhered them to the fondant without needed icing under there. Although I have not tried this method (with the water) with fondant, I would guess it would work about the same.

    I did this cake on Thurs night, and had to refrigerate it until Sat (b/c of the cream cheese), and the wet look lasted all that time. (Pics taken on Sat). The fondant (white part) did however start to sweat due to the temperature difference, which made it all look a little glossy, but not "wet" as the stripes look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, as a perfectionist in my mind - I thought it looked quite homemade! But it was even/level!! I just saw so many little mistakes and things I could have done better on perhaps. But next time! I keep learning as I go! It tasted great, and that is what really counts:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't we always see those mistakes?! If you buy gum paste already made, it will dry hard VERY quickly! But then again, maybe you don't want it to dry hard all the time...sometimes fondant is just better, but for little flowers (with ALL the experience I've had, lol :D) gum paste is best!

    Looks great! Thanks for the tip on the glossy look ;0)

    ReplyDelete