Thursday, February 14, 2008

Smothered Chicken - Recipe

This recipe is one of Brian's all time favourites, so I am going to make it for him for dinner tonight. It reminds me of something you might get at a restaurant like Applebee's or similar, but it's from the Betty Crocker Bridal Edition cookbook. I realize this might not be the cheapest recipe for some (especially in Canada), but I can get boneless skinless chicken everyday for $2/lb at Walmart, or for $1.79 on sale, so it's not that bad on our wallets! Here's the measurements...

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1t dried oregano
1/2t salt
1/2t garlic powder
1/4t pepper
1/4t cayenne pepper
1T butter or margarine
1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms (4 oz)
1/2C shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz)
1/2C shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz)
serve with rice (I use chicken bullion in the water to give the rice a little extra flavor, since there is no 'sauce')

This is how it's written in the cook book. I personally only use 2 chicken breasts, but the same amount of spices. There is usually a small amount of spices mixture left over, and I add it to the veggies. This is my version of how to make it, the recipe book is a little wordy, and it's very simple.

1. Start making rice
2. Mix the spices together and sprinkle over all sides of chicken breast. Cook in a skillet until done (I actually grill them in my George Foreman Grill). Keep warm until ready to assemble.
3. Put butter in a skillet and cook the pepper, onion and mushrooms until crisp-tender.
4. On each plate serve rice, with chicken. Put veggies over the top, and sprinkle with cheese (I don't always use both, sometimes only mozz. unless I have white cheddar. I'm a weirdo I suppose, but I don't like the way the orange looks with it!) Everything on the plate is warm, so it melts the cheese. It's very tasty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment