Friday, October 19, 2012

Cream of Whatever Soup - Recipe

Last night I was planning to make Chicken Rice Casserole, a recipe from my Great Grandma, Ruby Haas. Problem - I forgot I didn't have any cream of mushroom soup on hand, and I thought I did. Pinterest to the rescue! I knew I pinned a "make your own condensed soup" in the past. It was perfectly perfect in this recipe. I had all the ingredients on hand, so it was cheaper for me, but I'd have to do cost analysis to see if it's actually cheaper (likely is). One thing for sure, it's healthier with no additives and much less sodium than a can of mushroom soup, and didn't take long to make.

2T butter
1/4 C flour
1/2 C low sodium chicken broth
1/2 C milk (I used whole, but lower fat is likely just fine)
salt and pepper to taste (just guess based on the salt content of the recipe you are making, I didn't add much and it was fine)
1/4 C of whatever you want the soup to be...mushroom, celery, onion, potato, broccoli, chicken (cooked), finely chopped.

In small saucepan heat the butter and the "of" ingredient until soft, (not tender), add flour and stir together. It will be thick, sticky and gooey, and that is ok. I used mushrooms from a can and slap-chopped them to pieces:-)

Slowly add broth and whisk to avoid lumps. Bring to a boil, while whisking, and cook until thickened (doesn't take long, so don't walk away!)

Add milk, salt and pepper and stir until combined and thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment