Friday, May 27, 2011

Spelling Lessons

Here is a re-post of the post I lost when blogger went awol earlier this month...not sure its' 100% the same, but it's close. (Come on, my memory ain't THAT good folks, seriously:-)

There is nothing wrong with changing up the spelling of any name. Guaranteed no one will ever know how to spell Ashleigh, Rylee, Emmalee. So you will have to learn to live with that. Don't let it bug you, if your wacky spelling makes you happy, go for it. Just try to keep it as classy as you can. (Let me pick on Lauryn/Lauren for a minute, 'cause they're tough and can take it:-) My sister Lauryn is a great example of this. I love the Y in that name, it's so pretty. Y's are pretty letters. (My mom has a thing for y's:-). Lauren is a popular name though (it wasn't when she was born in the early 80's...she was at the start of that trend), and that is just what she gets most of the time, Lauren. What can you do? Nothing. Change it when you can, ignore it otherwise. As you age, it will only be the ladies at the drycleaners spelling it wrong on your tag. Who cares. My sister's name is Lauryn Amanda, by the way. I love the way it looks, it's very pretty when written out, and I also love it because I am used to it. Well done by my parents...her name is one of my faves among us Kennedy's.

That being said, it does also depend on what your eye is used to, as I just mentioned. My sister in law is Lauren, and Brian prefers that spelling, mostly I think, because he is used to seeing it that way. Partially because he doesn't share my love for the beauty of Y. And also because he's much more traditional than I am, and so changing up the spelling of a common name is pretty taboo for him. Is there a right or wrong? It would seem that most of the world prefers Lauren. That would make Lauren right and Lauryn wrong. Changing up spelling will definitely put you in the minority...but there is no right or wrong about it. Popular opinion should not matter. You have to go with what you think looks the best.

Consider all the options. Jonathan, Jonathon, Peyton, Payton, Paityn, Jaydon, Jaeden, Jaden, etc. Just because you've only seen it one way, doesn't mean it can't be changed. Keep in mind that certain spellings may work to feminize a name, like Paityn. We had a similar choice with choosing the name of our son, Layton, Lleyton, Leyton, Leighton... Vowels are oftentimes switchable, so try it out, and see if you love it! There is no right or wrong, no matter how normal or strange your particular tastes may be!...But on the flip side, try and dampen your enthusiasm for the creative and know that Aaleeshya might be taking it a little far:-D

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for liking my name! I like it too but yes correcting the spelling is always annoying. But at the same time I like the way it looks so its a burden I'm willing to bear:-)

    ReplyDelete