Saturday, August 3, 2013

You Tell Me

It's the new phase of life around here. My babies aren't babies anymore. They are big kids now. And in an effort to turn them into wonderful critical thinkers, instead of do-as-you're-told robots - I kinda stopped answering their questions awhile ago.

Not all of them. But most of them. All the dumb ones anyway.

Not that they cease to ask anymore. Oh no. It's still an eternal barrage of this 'n that nonsensical questions. Like "when will we get there", "is it snack yet", "where's my toothbrush", "will dogs bite you"...

And I have a great standard answer. "You tell me". Because they already know the answer. They know how to tell time, they know how to look for things, they know when they're about to do something stupid.

Basically, at this point, I am wondering if they have a) any common sense at all and b) if critical thinking is really THAT important. Haha. Because it's a pain in the butt to reinforce common sense.

If they have a legit question relating to something other than where we put the laundry or where the cups go, I'll answer it. But truthfully, in their 6 & 7 years of existence, we've done a lot of talking. They've got a lot of information in their brains. And they need to use it. And fast. I have never been known for my patience.

There have been days, when, after no less than seventy two thousand questions, I have forbid speaking to me. For any reason. Those days are rare, but sometimes, oh-so-necessary:-)

Watch out world, someday (soon, I hope) you'll have to contend with a whole herd of problem solvers!

No comments:

Post a Comment