Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ghee & Peanut Butter - Recipes

My motivation for eating healthy/more healthy is this: I *hate* to exercise. So I feel like maximizing what I put in my mouth, nutritionally, means I have to work out less;-) I have been reading a lot in the "paleo" diet world (eating whole, real, food. Nothing processed) about ghee, or also called clarified butter. I didn't know anything about it, so I decided to do some research, and wow. Google it. It's crazy! 
This organic butter costs 4.29 at Trader Joe's.
Here is an excerpt from this article: which gives a pretty good overall picture of the advantages of ghee over butter.

"Calories, Fat and Cholesterol

Ghee is a more concentrated source of fat than butter since the moisture and other milk solids are removed. One tablespoon of ghee has 13 g of fat and 117 calories versus butter, which has 11 g fat and 100 calories per tablespoon. Dr. Jay Glacer, in his book ''Body Renewal,'' suggests that ghee is rich in natural antioxidants, composed mainly of short chain fatty acids, and its cholesterol fraction resists oxidation. This is important since cholesterol becomes harmful when it is broken down or oxidized by free radicals that lead to clogged arteries and heart problems. The short chain fatty acids present in ghee are metabolized and used for energy immediately by the liver and resist being stored in the body as fat."


To start: Use a organic unsalted butter. Trader Joe's claims in their organic butter that they do not add water - this is not something conventional butters will be able to claim. The amount of water, and chemicals used the the regular/normal butter making process is beyond mind boggling (why ruin something so natural?). So buy organic, where you are getting the cream and fats only. Or make it yourself...I have yet to try this, but really want too!
Begin to melt on low heat

Once melted (stirring often to help break up chunks), it will begin to bubble/simmer, and create a froth. It is separating everything out of the butter. You will be left with only the butterfat. Ghee is perfect for people that are lactose intolerant, as all the milk "parts" will be removed in the process

Keep skimming the butter and removing all the foam

I am holding a 1/2 C measuring cup, so pictured is about how much foam I could remove with a slotted spoon (about 1/4C perhaps?). This process so far took about 15-20 mins of melting, simmering & separating the butter

I did not have cheesecloth, so I used a coffee filter to strain the remaining butter

Can you see all the white parts in there? Straining those out

You can see them caught on the filter

We are left with pure ghee (which is only the butterfat). This is the yield from processing 1 lb of organic butter

Cooling down. Tip: Did you know the lids of parmesan cheese containers or coffee creamers fit on mason jars?

Apparently, it will stay very soft/liquid on the counter, and lasts for 6 months. It lasts longer and will take a hard form in the fridge. I put mine in the fridge, I am unsure which way I will like it best. Ghee has a very high (450+) smoke point, so it will not burn in cooking/sauteing the way butter does. I also thought perhaps I should measure it into an icecube tray in 1T measurements, and once hard put in a container, and keep in firidge. Easy to grab a predetermined amount then, for cooking. Maybe next time!
Result - ever so slightly time consuming (30mins total) but not at all difficult. Excited to cook with it! I'm even gonna try a little bit on toast, just to see! :-)

EXPERIMENT #2. - Homemade Peanut Butter.

This made possible by my new food processor! LOVE it!!


3.29 at Trader Joe's. Ingredients, Peanuts and salt

After about 20 seconds

at 6:58

at 6:59

at 7:00

at 7:01

at 7:02, done.
 As it whirs around, the natural oils in the peanuts are released giving it its creamy smoothness. You don't add anything at all!! And wow, it sure is smooth! Literally took minutes, as you can see, and done! The kids all had to have a lick, and they were sooo impressed that it tasted like peanuts, haha!!
Keep it in the fridge for a firmer texture. You may have to give it a shake, if you don't use it a lot, the oils will separate, as with all natural peanut butters. I have a feeling ours won't last long enough for that to be a problem:-) I don't really even eat peanut butter, but the kids love it. Natural is sooo much healthier than the hydrogenated store bought conventional ones, and homemade has a cheaper price tag than other natural peanut butters. Sold!

The yield of my evening adventures:-)

3 comments:

  1. GET OUTTA TOWN! You are beyond awesome! First of all, I didn't know you could make your own ghee! Second, no way, the lids fit on mason jars?!?! PHenom!! Thanks for this, pinning it to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will add an edit to the post tomorrow. eating it on toast and such, Brian wants it salted for better flavour, so I will try melting some in there tomorrow and letting it cool again to see if that makes it taste a bit better for regular eating instead of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have. organic ghee

    ReplyDelete