Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Breakfast Burrito - Recipe

I have been trying to be very conscious of the types of foods I am eating - as I know/notice that this really makes an impact on my energy levels and ability to lose weight. While calling this way of eating, paleo-ish, it's not truly paleo. For example, the flour wrap in this recipe! Generally speaking, when trying to keep my protein up, my fats and sugars down (goal of 24g sugar per day is HARD to adhere to!)...basically it doesn't leave much room for anything but meats, and veggies, haha!!, so it's Paleo-ish:-) Of course I do not calculate all this or set the goals, My Fitness Pal app does it for me.

I found this recipe, as a knock off, of McDonald's breakfast burrito. It's really good! I have changed it up a little from the original, just to help cut calories, and fat - and I don't think the essential taste has been compromised very much, if at all.

1 lb turkey sausage, pre cooked/crumbled (mild)
1/2 C yellow onion, diced
1/4 C fresh tomatoes, diced
1 T canned green chili's (freeze the remainder to use next time!)
10-12 Flour tortilla shells (8" size)
9 eggs (2 C)
about 1 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Favourite Taco or Picante sauce for dipping

Place sausage, onion, green chili's and tomatoes in pan and heat on med. temp. until heat through, stirring frequently to avoid burning.

Beat eggs and add to pan. When cooked remove from heat. Cover and store in fridge for future breakfasts.

To eat, place some cheese & egg/sausage mixture in tortilla and microwave until heated (30-45seconds, for me).

CALORIES - My version of this recipe - including the flour tortilla, but excluding the cheese, is about 193 calories per burrito. It tastes fine without the cheese, I think! If you include the cheese, it's about 266 per burrito. Not sure what it would be if you "ate the insides" without the wrap (for gluten free?), but it would taste yummy that way too...while being more like a scrambled egg than a burrito:-)

(Including the cheese) -
Total fat 14.4g
Cholesterol 184.4mg
Total carbs 20.9g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 1.9g
Protein 14.7g
Calcium 24.3%
Iron 11.5%

Sometimes I eat this without the cheese if I am, or know that I will be, near my daily "goal" of 40g of fat - but even with the cheese, I think it's healthy enough, and it's a very filling breakfast or lunch, with lots of protein, and it tastes so good! Winning!

No comments:

Post a Comment