Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Marsala

A few weeks ago I was in the mood for Olive Garden's Chicken Marsala, so I googled Marsala recipes...found this gem on the Betty Crocker website. It's for the slow cooker, bonus!! We all (especially Brian) loved it. Seeing as my lower element is out on the oven (happened Friday night), and we're waiting for the part to come in so Brian can fix it...I'm stuck with grilling, stove top or crock pot meals, so this one's getting an encore tonight.

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I did crushed)
1 T vegetable oil
8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
3 - 4oz cans of sliced mushrooms (this was a little much, 2 is enough)
1 C sweet Marsala wine or chicken broth (I used cooking Sherry)
1/2 C water (I used chicken broth)
1/4 C cornstarch
3 T chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

I didn't have any marsala, and used sherry, and it tasted wonderful. I decided to use broth in lieu of the water since it had suggested it in lieu of the wine (how then, would it be marsala??!), for a potentially richer flavour. I think it worked, it was perfect!

Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, place garlic and oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, place in cooker over garlic. Place mushrooms over chicken, pour wine over all.

Cover, cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours.

Remove chicken from cooker, place on plate and cover to keep warm. In small bowl mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into liquid in cooker. Increase heat to high and cook for 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.

Return chicken to cooker, cover, cook on high for 5 minutes or until chicken is hot.

To serve, spoon mushroom sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley.

3 comments:

  1. I MUST try!!! Sounds amazing. Did you do potatoes like they do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I did with garlic mashed potatoes, yes, but this time, over rice, since we had smashed red potatoes last night with our grilled salmon:-) can't overdo potatoes with the man of the house:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, all those recipes sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete