Monday, May 11, 2015

DIY: How to make a Jamberry template

Well, I'm pretty much sold! I do love Jamberry! If you've never heard of it, it's basically a very sticky sticker you apply to your nails. They last for 1 to 2 weeks before needing to be removed - but they look great the whole time! No chips or anything! They are $15 per sheet (or 4 sheets for $45), and you get 4 manicures per sheet. (This is US cost, it costs more in Canada). This is definitely cheaper than paying for manicures, but more money than painting your nails with polish. The advantage though, over polish, is the fact that you don't have to keep on doing it day after day. The other advantage, as you apply them, is that you can do them one at time - and take a break and come back to it, with no drying time. That's a huge bonus for a mom, for sure! I've been using Jamberries for about 2 years now.

Anyway, they come precut on a sheet - to fit all nail sizes - in order to get 4 manicures from each sheet, I need to trim down some of the larger ones that don't fit my nails. I've found this awkward and somewhat difficult. I decided to come up with a better way.

If your nails do not fit their pre-cut sizes precisely, this is how you can trim your sheet, in a fairly timely manner. Making this set of templates probably took me 30 minutes beginning to end, but I'll never have to do it again, and will always be able to easily trim my sheets.
Clear packing tape. Stick it to your nail, and trace the shape/size of your nail

Keep them in order I have Pinky through Thumb. Stick the packing tape to a sheet of transparency paper. This is available from office supply stores, but I had some in my craft supplies.

I took my nails templates and lined them up over a Jamberry sheet and traced the whole thing

Cut them out. Leave one side longer and untrimmed, and round the other end precisely. I only needed 4, as two of my nails are exactly the same size.

Take some paper, cut it to fit the squared end, and label it for the finger, (either 1 - 5, or initials for Pinky, Index, Ring etc), and then peel off your packing tape from the transparency.

Stick some packing tape down on the paper. Apply it fitted neatly to the top of the template, and fold over. Cut off all excess tape. Do this for each of the 5 templates.

Punch a hole in the top of the paper size of the templates.

All done! 
Now I can quickly trace these templates onto a sheet of Jamberries, and trim the sheet up to fit my nails, so I have no waste on the sheet, and am able to get a full 4 set of nails!

No comments:

Post a Comment