Thursday, April 8, 2021

Coffee, from Luc

My coffee skills are getting better - and so are the kids! After Luc died, Cassy was getting rid of this high end coffee maker at her garage sale...it was in the $5 pile 😱...it needed a part - suspected water pump. It hadn't been working right, and Luc was going to fix it, but hadn't gotten around to it. Brian took it. It's a $1200 machine, and he figured we could figure out what was wrong with it. After watching tons of "problem" videos on YouTube, in fact, all it needed was a gasket because of a water leak. And I've been trying to perfect various beverages since then. I can do mochas & lattes pretty good - my straight espresso and cappuccino need juuuust a little help still - sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. All this coffee business is way more science than coffee, and while essentially formulaic, also just...not. You have to feel in your bones. You either have it or you don't. It's...hard work. 😄 My Mother in law got me a tee-shirt for my bday "I never thought I'd grow up to be a barista, but here I am, killing it" 😂

I have wasted a ton of coffee, just trying to get a consistent cup. I have made lots of yummy coffee too. Brian hates coffee, tho loves the smell of it, thankfully. But regrettably I don't have a decent critic for some of my stuff, I have to practice on "strangers" instead of family. Sorry friends! I have taught the kids how to make chai lattes (which they adore the decaf version). And the whole thing has been a really fun hobby to take on. I never would have even thought to take up such a thing, if not for this machine. Next up, I really need to learn a bit of latte art. YouTube to the rescue again, I'm sure. 

I'm grateful for a fun new adventure, and a kind friend, who made the best coffee, and always made sure our cups were full. While I'm enjoying making someone a special beverage, I think of him, and his hospitality. It inspires me to make sure I'm loving others well, just like he did. We miss you, Luc.


No comments:

Post a Comment