Thursday, August 21, 2008

Laundry Lessons (From the Fair)

I would title this post "A Lesson in Gratefulness", but it's a little long...

As some of you know, or may not know, I was Miss Markham Fair 2001. It was quite a neat experience! I should write more about that later, but one of the many prizes I received for winning was a Markham Fair Cookbook, a compilation of winning recipes throughout the years. I love it! Well this 'recipe' is in the book, in the "Other" category. I came across it today while looking for a banana bread recipe. I think I am going to frame it and hang it in my laundry room! I am SO glad laundry does not involve any of this...not only do you have to wash clothes but clean the porch and do the flowers too. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Recipe for Washing Clothes
Author - unknown Submitted by Doris Thomas
Given by a mother years ago to her daughter when she married.

1. Build a fire in the back yard to heat kettle of rain water
2. Set tubs so the wind won't blow smoke in your eyes
3. Shave one cake lye soap in the boiling water
4. Sort things - make three piles - one pile white, one pile coloured, one pile work
5. Stir flour in cold water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water
6. Rub dirty spots on board, scrub, then boil
7. Take white things out of kettle with broom handle - then rinse
8. Spread towels on the grass
9. Hang old rags on the fence
10. Pour rinse water on flower beds
11. Scrub porch with hot soapy water
12. Turn tubs upside down
13. Go put on a clean dress, comb your hair, brew a cup of tea - sit down and rock a spell and count your blessings

Most of my 'good' pictures are packed up to protect them from all the dust around here, all I have is a little album of candid shots from the Fair.

Me, in 2002 competing at the Canadian National Exhibition to be Queen of the CNE I think. I can't really remember as I did not want to win that one.

Me, with Princesses Natalie and Andrea...Waiting for paratroopers to come into sight.

The Fair took place a couple weeks after Sept 11/01. There was a big military 'touch and see' area, which they don't normally have. There were also paratroopers that came in and landed in front of us. Lots of cool things, I will have to revive my pictures and post about it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment